Founding of the County

July 1st, 2021 – July 1st, 2031

Williamson County was founded March 13, 1848, with an agreement under an oak tree and a promise of land for a county seat. Learn about the native people, early settlers, courthouses, conversations and hard work that transformed “the land of good water” into our present county in the Williamson Museum’s only permanent exhibit.

Five older white men in 19th century suits sit under a large oak tree, all are looking "out" towards the viewer.    Bluebonnets and prickly pear cacti grow scattered around them. A dirt path runs by the tree and a man on a white mule is approaching the sitting men. The man on the mule, George Washington Glasscock, is also painted "head on" and is pointing toward the viewer.
This mural commemorates the founding of the county on March 13, 1848. It was painted by In Your Space, Inc. for the “Museum Works Project” in 2007.
A black and white ink sketch on a blue background depicting Chef Placido, a Tonkawa man. He is wearing a single long feather in his hair with points up on the right side of his head. He is also wearing a long earring in his right ear, a large collar of office, and holding several feather in his hand. He is drawn from the elbows up and is facing toward the viewer, face turned slightly to his right. The artist's name, possibly Dalms, is written in the bottom left corner, and the numbers 2 5/8" and 9 are written in pencil on the top left corner.
Exhibit excerpt: Chief Placido of the Tonkawa nation. Image from “The Land of Good Water” by Clara Stearns Scarborough. The Tonkawa, Comanche, Lipan Apache and Tawakoni all called Williamson County home between the 10th and 19th centuries.